Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Great Divide

There was an article in WonderTime magazine about "the great divide" between couples to have kids and couples who don't..... This was the last paragraph and I thought I would share:

"So here it is in a nutshell:
Yes, we can still have great friendships and good times after we become parents. And it's okay that some of our friends choose not to have kids. The truth is, parenting is the hardest job in the world, and having the hardest job definitely changes a person. So, if you think it's your friends that are different after you have kids, think again. They are as selfish and self-centered as you used to be. And come on, you can't deny that even with the stress, anxiety, exaustion, and poverty, we parents have a pretty good deal. Could you imagine your life without someone calling you Mommy or looking to see where you are at a soccer game or needed that special hug that only you can provide? Did you have any clue how much love you had in your heart before you had kids? Admit it. You may be poor and tired, but you've got some nice, new, exausted friends to hang out with."

1 comment:

Shelby and Brian said...

It's really funny that you posted this because this topic has come up in conversation a couple times in the past month. I think it's so true that when you're a parent you're just so much more giving because you're used to putting yourself second, always. (As I'm typing this I feel like crap but I still have to work today because Owen comes first. And I don't have anyone to take care of me or free time to just relax) So I completely agree with this article. I know it's tough always coming second, but it makes people much more kind I think. Moms and dads are some of the greatest people out there for sure!