Saturday, February 23, 2013

Can 50 Ultramarathon


I thought I'd add these pictures before I deleted them from my phone.  The first is a picture of me just before starting my 50K run as part of the Canandaguia Ultramarathon on Columbus Day Weekend 2012.  It's a 50K or 50 mile run around Canandaguia Lake in central New York.  I ran a half marathon in July and a full marathon in September in Rochester two weeks before this event.  I was ready.

At 50K Race Start
My goal was simply to finish and not get removed from the race by not making the cut off time at one of the aid stations.  I ended up finishing all 31 miles of the race in 6 hours and 20 minutes.  It felt great.  My goal for next year is to complete the 50 mile option of the race.  I know I can do it, it will just be a matter of logistically being able to attend the race this October.

The second picture is a picture I took during the run, I believe on a lonely, yet beautiful 4 mile stretch of road.

Only one other racer in sight...
you get pretty spaced out
over the course of 31 miles.
I took it shortly after I received a text message from Holly saying they just announced in General Conference the Church was lowering the missionary age from 19 to 18 for young men and from 21 to 19 for young women.  It was a real landmark announcement and when I see this picture I not only think about the run, but also about the realization that Parker, Carter, and Anderson will all be leaving for their missions one year earlier then expected.  It was a memorable run, and I look forward to doing many others like it throughout my life, hopefully with my boys someday as well.  I'd like to run at least a marathon with all of them before their missions and run an ultramarathon all together once the last one returns home.  Big dreams and big training, both physically and spiritually ahead!

No comments: