Saturday, November 29, 2008

reflections of the way life used to be

In these past couple days, I have done a lot of reflecting and a lot of changing. I've decided now is a really great time to get rid of negativity in my life. I need to surround myself with positive people and positive influences.

A couple things have caused this reflection. I was part of an online group for mommies. Although I found a lot of support, strength, encouragement, and advice. I also found a lot of cliques, backstabbing, hypocrites, lies, ignorance, and gossip. If I want to live my life and set a good example for my kids, I need to not be associated with that. So, all ties to those groups have been cut.

There are, however a few friends I've made along the way that I will most definitely keep in touch with. Although they are all the way across the country, they have become some of my closest friends and I love them dearly.

Reflecting on Thanksgiving I am so blessed to lead the life I do. We may not have all the money that other people do or all the nice things, but we are together and we have love. And, that really is all that matters. Everyday that I get to take care of and nurture Parker is a fulfilled day for me. He is most definitely my pride and joy.

I leave you with a final thought:
When Brian and I were first married, we were counselled by a man and his wife. They stated that early in their marriage they didn't have a lot at all. They had a little car, a little place to call home, and few belongings. They squeezed inside to their little car while going places often brushing the others hand or arm during the drive. They sometimes shared the same room- trying to do different things. Everything was tight. But, so was their love. As they grew older and had some kids, they had to get a bigger vehicle and a bigger house. As their bodies grew apart- so did they. Now, instead of accidentally brushing the others arm- they had to reach across a large console in a truck just to touch the others hand. They learned they had to work a lot harder to maintain that marriage that they once had in that tiny little car.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a Happy Thanksgiving! We loved having Parker and all of you here! He is such a good boy! Do you remember our little tiny house in Morton? Just having a fond memory flashback! Love ya tons! Mom (Graaaaama)

Shelby and Brian said...

That's really insightful. It like seriously made me cry (see, i'm emo and i'm not even preg!) but it reminded me of when Brian and I first got our suv and we had been used to our civic. We went to hold hands like we usually did in the civic, but there was a huge distance and a console in between us in the suv that we weren't used to and Brian said "you feel so far away from me". We don't hold hands in the car anymore :( Maybe we should try to again. I'm getting really sad again...

~AnnaMarie~ said...

That is so true. Let me tell you from someone who has 4 children. Dan and I have to make sure that our communication is not limited to the things each other needs to do to keep this family and house running smoothly. We have to make the time and effort to still talk about the small things, just chat, and make sure to reconnect with each other when things are crazy. Sometimes it's easy to let each other slip to the back burner when we are juggling everything else.