Sunday, December 29, 2013

Church and Talents

At church today I normally have to wrangle Anderson both in the pew and outside in the hallway. Today, however, Anders was pretty good during the second half of sacrament meeting and I was able to listen to the speaker, one of the counselors in the bishopric.

Just a pic of the boys and mom
One thing he talked about was the parable of the talents given by Christ in Matthew and Luke.  I enjoyed listening to it and resolved to learn a little bit more about it when I came home, so here I go.

The Parable of the Talents
One talent, I just learned from Wikipedia, was equivalent to 20 years worth of work for a common man.  Even the one talent was a very large sum of money, which could be anywhere between $300,000 to $500,000 today. In other words, even one talent was a great gift not to be taken lightly. I also learned from Wikipedia this is also the origin of the English word talent meaning an ability or gift, as first used by the poet John Milton.

That's it.  Take it what you will.  Just thought those details were interesting.

No comments: