Monday, January 23, 2012

Dad's View: Feeding, Movies, and the Super Bowl

Holly is watching the Bachelor with her good friend Daisy which leaves me a few moments to provide my own paternal updates. As Holly reported, Anderson had his first bowl of rice cereal last night. I helped shovel it in to Anderson’s delight. Holly complained that the boys always eat better for me. It’s because I don’t waste time with the choo-choo train and other culinary forms of transportation. I’m all business. When I feed my kids its scoop, gobble, and go. They chow down quick so I can get on to other things. We captured it on video which I trust Holly will also eventually take the time to post.

Anderson’s “favorite” movie is the Elton John studded film Gnomeo and Juliet. Grandma Miller got Parker and Carter on it over Thanksgiving break. Carter was particularly fond of it which means Anderson saw it a lot recently. Now whenever we turn it on Anderson calms down and happily watches it. It’s a terribly cute film with nice little Shakespearean asides to get every now and then. One of the great things about having children is the parade of children’s movies you cycle through. Toy Story 3 was the hot item last summer which eventually morphed into the full length Gumby movie of before Anderson was born. Now it’s Gnomeo and Juliet. These movies will always be locked in my memory with Parker, Carter, and Anderson as little kids. Anytime I run into these movies again it’ll bring me back. I like those little things that make me remember my kids when they are little. I think they will mean more and more to me as I get older. I can see Holly and me watching The Gumby Movie when we are sixty-five and feel all tingly thinking of all the summer days Parker and Carter watched it over and over while we waited for Anderson’s arrival.

Football was a disappointment yesterday. I was really hoping for the 49ers. I suppose there is always next year. I’m not looking forward to another Giants vs. Patriots Super Bowl. I like the little teams from the small markets. These two juggernauts slugging it out will simply give me more time to refill the bean dip for our tiny party we will be hosting. For what its worth however, I would prefer the Giants. But only by a small degree. I’d much rather root for a third party to win the game like bad weather. Really bad weather. Earthquakes and stuff. Send everybody home and call it off. Of course that will never happen. But it’s nice to dream.

No comments: