Thursday, August 7, 2008

to find out or to not find out, that is the question

So, Brian and I are deciding if we wanted to find out if this little gummi bear is a boy or girl.

Brian was set on finding out.
Me? I wanted to wait.

In my online Mommy Group someone was shown a site and they decided to share it with us.
www.babymckallister.blogspot.com
(if you're gonna watch this, be prepared to cry like a newborn)



:: Spoiler Alert ::

Its a blog about the journey of 2 newlywed parents and their first born. Josh and Cali Hinkley were excited to welcome their baby boy into the world. Since Josh played baseball for Utah Valley University they knew little baby McKallister (Mac for short) was gonna be a homerun. They were so excited to meet their little guy. On June 26th 2008, just 2 days shy of Cali's due date they went in for a routine stress test. Baby Mac's heartbeat could not be found. She was brought to the hospital where after 14 hours of labor- she met her little guy, but not the way she wanted. They were able to spend 12 hours with their lifeless little baby before the nurse stood in front of them and wrapped him completely in a blanket to be taken for the autopsy. They later dressed their son in burial clothes and buried him in a miniature casket.

I admire their strength. They know that they will once again meet their son and have the chance to raise him. I am so thankful for this gospel and knowing that families are indeed forever.

:: End Spoiler Alert ::


After seeing this story, I really think we are going to find out. I want to bond with my baby and really feel like I know him or her before they arrive. We'll see but right now, I think we're going to find out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I never found out the gender of my children, and I still bonded with them . . .

Holly Steffen said...

i know you didnt find out. and i'm not saying that people who don't find out- can't bond with their babies. i'm just saying that i will personally bond more if i know the gender. some people aren't like that.

and i still want to have a surprise baby someday but i feel like this might not be the one to wait. that's all....

Megan said...

I decided I would find out the gender of my kiddos at least until we had a full set of stuff for each gender. It happened the first times so now the next ones we have to decide if we want to find out. With this one we wanted to find out just from what we had just been through, and it's true you can still bond with your kids if you don't know what gender they are, but it's a different kind of bond when you know. Know what I mean? Neither is bad, just different.

I think with the next kids after this one we're not going to find out. If I can stand it!

♥The Drake Family♥ said...

OMG! I cried so hard looking at these SAD stories. I have a doctor's appt tommorrow and now i am scared. It really puts in perspective how blessed you really are to have healthy children, and what a huge blessing it is to carry and deliver a healthy child. I was officially in a depression last night!! lol. anyways, i didnt want to find out what i was having this time since i have a boy and girl, but i changed my mind and decided i was too nosey not too, even though it would be really fun. i do agree with you that for me, i would be able to bond more with my baby knowing the sex. maybe not for others, buut for me. then it would already have a name......

Unknown said...

I have always thought that the miracle of a baby is the most amazing thing.... and what a blessing it is to have a healthy child. It seems we still hear so many horror stories of things that go wrong even in today's day of technology. Every one is so different but I personally LOVED not knowing what I was having. And yes, all of the bonding was still there... but that's me. :)

Beverly B. said...

I didn't believe you when you said I would cry but I did. It makes me want to hold on to my kids a little tighter and appreciate them more.